- Over 20 years of design experience, 17 years in website and UI development.
- HTML/CSS with 508 compliance and SEO in mind.
- Ten years of solid PHP/MySQL experience Eight years in procedural, three in OOP.
- Designed and Programmed a complete Content and Community Management System.
- Programmed e-learning packages for Montgomery County Public Schools, Maryland Sea Grant College and Environmental Science Educational Partnership.
- Extremely active in the PHP Community as well as speaking at conferences on design and development.
- Programming Skills: PHP, SQL, HTML, CSS, JQuery, XML, some React (tweaking), some small experience in .NET C#.
- Experience with LAMP server, Mac OSX Server, Windows 2003, SQL with IIS 6.0 experience
- Excellent client management skills
- 3 years design and layout of monthly magazine.
- 2 years managing advertising for monthly magazine.
- Designed all collateral for php[architect]’s conferences, including brochures, banners, and websites.
Oct 2017 – Present
Maryland Sea Grant
Development of website, web-based databases and in-house apps. Provisioning computers and maintaining tech in the College Park Office.
Aug 2012 – Present
Founding Partner / Creative Director
The design and front end developer of a fantastically talented group of developers. We take on enterprise-level jobs and make hardened, stable and beautiful websites that are intuitive and easy to use.
Dec 2016 – Sep 2017
Web Applications Developer
Front End Design and Development. For development, I Participate in an Agile environment, utilizing SASS, jQuery, reactJS (only in a tweaking capacity), PHP. I work in PHPStorm, and use gulp for compiling JSX. For UI and UX design, I use Adobe XD and inDesign to mock up the designs and support the Developers by implementing the look in CSS (SCSS).
Jan 2013 – Present
Redesigned the look and feel of the world’s longest continually running monthly magazine for PHP developers. Laid out magazine for over 3.5 years, seeing it from digital-only through digital and print. Managed advertising for over two years. The magazine is still running with over 1500 subscribers.
Aug 2011 – Jul 2012
Creating the look and feel as well as the user interface for mojoLive.com. Overseeing several designers and managing workflow while maintaining a creative environment that grows the individual artist.
Funding for this startup went dry in July 2012.
Feb 2010 – Aug 2011
Developed web applications for NCI scientists. Working within a proprietary framework in PHP, creating web applications to help scientists find a cure for Cancer. Object oriented structures in PHP. Also working with jQuery, Scriptaculous and SQL.
Sep 2007 – Feb 2010
Art Director, then Communications Manager (Webmaster/Developer/Designer)
Upgrade and maintain corporate websites for Hadco lighting. Redesigned bot sites as well as created microsites for product launches. Hadco is now a division of Philips North America Lighting. I wrote a usability report that lead to an Information Architecture redesign. I tweaked the code written in.NET by Cimbrian (Lancaster, PA) to work with new navigation structure. Created OOP-based email list manager in PHP 5.2 for MS SQL Server.
May 2003— Sep 2007
Maryland Sea Grant
College Park, MD
Educational Web Designer
Create, Publish and maintain scienceinquiry.org. This position had a varied scope of duties which included creating a custom CMS in PHP 5.1/MSQL 5.1 for mdsg.umd.edu. Creating e-learning systems for educators to post lessons for peer review. Creating and maintained grant website for grant participants. Creating and maintaining a CMS for Environment Science Education Partnership using the same e-learning systems. All site work done in procedural PHP.
Other duties included constant interactions with grant participants, video production of convention events, post-production using Final Cut Pro software.
Mar 2001 — May 2003
I freelanced for the two years that we lived out in Beaverton, Oregon. With the time I had I taught myself PHP/MySQL, designing and coding for several clients. Starting from a simple forum to creating a basic CMS with a member pay systems, newsletter system and community apps such as forums and chat.
Oct 1999 — Mar 2001
Healant e-care business
Senior Web Designer
1998 — 1999
Riddle & Cockrell, Inc.
Illustrated town buildings first in pen & ink, then Photoshop for placement in “Our Town” style jacquard woven afghans. I was top producer for much of the time.
Was one of two designers picked in the company to start the desktop publishing department, designing catalogs and brochures for the product lines.
12/1991 Columbus College of Art & Design , OH
Bachelor of Fine Arts
Illustration Major Advertising Minor
Member: AIGA Blue Ridge
Founder: Frederick Web Technologies Group
Technical Expertise Overview
- LAMP stack
- Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, NetBeans, phpStorm, SVN, Git
Front End Development